11.07.2005

Full of Surprises

Saturday, I went to yet another Bunkasai (School Festival) at Tokyo Music University with one of the JTEs that I work with.

Her daughter performed with the opera group. Honestly, it was AMAZING. It blew my mind to see four, seemingly "normal" Japanese guys get up and start singing opera. I was in awe. What if you met someone somewhere, and you asked,
"So, what do you do?"
"I sing."
"Really, sing something for me."
"Ok. Faniculi, faniculi, faniculi, FANICULAAAAA. . . . "

I seriously think I would freak out. I realize that there are people all over the world who sing opera. I have even BEEN to a few operas. However, this was the first time I realized that actual people, accessable people can sing opera.

It's like a little secret weapon they could carry around with them to parties. Can you imagine?
"So, anyone here have a special tallent?"
"I can burp the alphabet."
"I can do shadow puppets."
"I can open a can of soda with my belly button." (Well, that would be pretty cool.)
"Faniculi, faniculi, faniculi, FANICULAAAAAA. . . ."

I know beyond a doubt that I would walk over to that person, and say something to the effect of, "That was AMAAAAAAAAAAZING!!! Can we be friends????"
(Yes, I am that shameless. Some of you may know that from experience. Those magic words may have even been the beginning of our own beautiful friendship.)

If only I could figure out how to say "AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING!!!!" in Japanese. . .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,

(It's been a long time since we've talked!)

I actually work for the opera in Orange County (Opera Pacific) - in case you're home and you ever want to go...these people are so normal, yet so, as you say "AMAAAAAAAAAAAZING!!!!"

6:43 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

R. LOESCH!!!!! i can't even begin to tell you how excited (and flattered) i am that you read my blog! wow! thanks. i am almost equally excited that you work for the opera in orange county!! can we please please go! i would freak out if i could make friends with some opera persons (operatas? operarers? operai?) but we'd have to keep it a secret, so the next time i throw a party, they can come and then i'll ask them to sing and amaze everyone!!!
awesome.
can't wait.
thank you.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home