9.25.2005

Ah, Matsushima!


The Haiku poet, Matsuo Basho visited Matsushima in 1689.
It is said that it's beauty left him with nothing more to say than:

Matsushima ah, Matsushima!
Ah, Matsushima, ah!
Matsushima, ah!

Don't I look chipper for it being 5:30 in the morning?
Thank God for coffee (and thank Kristin for giving me a fresh bag of it to take back to Japan.)
IKIMASHO!!

Consider yourself forewarned, I took this trip by myself. So, there will be nothing but crappy landscape photos and lame pictures of myself in the blog that lies ahead. Don't waste your time if that sounds as boring to you as it does to me. I won't be offended, because I'll probably never know.

I took the train all the way to Honshiogama, where I hopped on the ferry to Matsushima Bay.

The boat I took did NOT look like this. . .


Or this. . .

Oooooor this. . .

Nope, nope. Just a regular old boat for me. The inside of it looked like this. . .

The couple sitting in front of me entertained themselves during the trip by feeding the birds. As a result, the birds flew along with us the whole time. There were moments I could have reached out and grabbed one of them, if I was that sort of girl.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Here are some of the more famous islands that the pre-recorded tour lady announced over the loudspeaker. . .

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


This one is supposed to look like a turtle. . .

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


This one is supposed to look like a man wearing a hat, with a cigarette in his mouth. . .

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


This one looks neat. . .

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


This one is my favorite, although I forgot what it is supposed to look like. To me, it looks like the little island is saying "hello" to the bigger island. . .

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

well HELLO, mr. island.


Matsushima Bay, (matsu = pine, and shima = island) is famous for its 260 pine covered islands. It's also ranked as having one of "Japan's Three Greatest Views"
I just realized that I have far too many photos for one blog entry.
You and I both need a rest, so let's take a little break.

Until next time. . .

Aaaaaaaah Matsushima!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Melissa Sakal! It looks beautiful. Thanks for the blogs. I love them.

11:58 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

AAAAAAAH, Matt Spohnjovi! Thank YOU for reading. I'm glad you like it, but the best is yet to come. . .

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home