9.10.2005

All in a day's work

Welcome to Showa Koko's School Festival

The kids have been planning and preparing for this year's school festival all summer. For the school festival, each home room does "something". That can be anything from setting up a restaurant. . .

to making a giant genie.

The day started off with each class performing their own choreographed "dance". Each of the students has to participate, which makes for a rather "interesting" (and LONG) show.
Every class has a "theme" of some kind, but more often than not, the connections between that theme, their dance, and what their class does is pretty loose.


Personally, my favorite part of the school festival are the haunted houses. Let me tell you, you haven't been in a haunted house, until you've been in one that was made by a bunch of Japanese kids, and you've walked through it with a group of screaming Japanese high school girls. I thought I was going to loose my clothing, if not my mind, by the time I got out of there. The girls were clinging to me for dear life, and screaming at the top of their lungs, in Japanese.
Please note the boy in pink. He did an EXCELLENT job freaking out all of the girls before we even got into the Horror House. (For those who have read my blogs in the past, he's also the boy who cried while watching a Doraiman cartoon on the bus. Needless to say, I love this kid.)

We waited for over an hour to go into the "Horror House"


The kids, the kids, the kids

These two girls are angels. The personality of the one on the right, reminds me of my cousin Brianne. It's really hard for me not to hug her every day after class.

These two boys are a riot. The one on the left is a first year student. He speaks English REALLY! LOUDLY! AND! ABRUPTLY! He also seems to be most comfortable standing really close to you and yelling into your face. He kind of freaks me out, but I admire his effort.
Coincidentally, both of these boys are excellent break dancers.
Seriously.

The boy on the right is ADORABLE. But, I suppose you can see that for yourselves. He is the student who, when asked last semester, "What is your favorite thing to do, and why?" answered, "My favorite thing is eating rice because it is delicious, I like rice, and white."

This boy is a nut.
He'll do anything for attention (a trait which I generally find irritating)
Nevertheless, he's also probably one of my favorite students from last year.

Days like these, I love my job.
Can you blame me?

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the "horror house" better than last years?
I'm in Pennsylvania!!!

10:44 PM  
Blogger ms. tea said...

how do you handle being around such beautiful people all the time? that is what japan is in my mind, a bunch of islands full of unbelievably beautuful people, and your little photo essays are proving my theory

4:41 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

well myste, i had a lot of training. remember when i started working at mother's and i would talk about how depressing it was being around beautiful people all day? it's pretty much the same thing here, only these people look like family.

8:00 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

oh, and besides myste, these beautiful people are all the more reason that you should come visit. you'll fit right in.

8:02 AM  
Blogger ms. tea said...

after about another week of this job i'll be ready to jump on a plane!

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

were there peeled grapes at the haunted house? i hate those. you never know whose hands have been in there or where those hands have been, and thats just gross.... and really really frightening.

you know what scares me? children, children scare the crap out of me that and the possibility of hitting someone with my car. but these kids seem really cool.

what am i talking about?

hey i really like those yellow t-shirts with the big eyed black things on them? you know where i can get one? i bet you do.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a Good Girl!
Guess who?

8:46 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

hello daddio

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May-Be...
I'll never tell :)

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you love these ;)
Don't you Baby Doll? :0

12:37 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

i just hope it's not genetic

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what he says but I know different.

12:44 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

aparentlly, i have no hope.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is :)

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are your Mom. It is genetic!
:~)

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home