9.26.2005

mmmmmmmatsushima. . .

This blog is strictly for the viewing pleasure of Miss Stacy Michelson.
It has nothing in it but pictures of food (and the places the food was eaten)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

mmmmmochi

best breakfast ever

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


I started my first full day in Matsushima, with a hot bowl of macha and warm fresh mochi.
And what better place to have traditional green tea than in the largest Momoyama-style tea house in Japan, with this view. . .

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


A $40 lunch, that was worth every last yen

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I never pass up the opportunity to treat myself to temple food.
Shojin Ryori is strict vegetarian cooking, that doesn't use any animal products
(nor does is use onions or garlic because their flavor is "too strong")

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The first course came in this magical box that opened to show the food hidden inside.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is a hazelnut dipped in nuts, with a cooked carrot, cut into the shape of a leaf.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There were gold flakes on the beans. I'm pretty sure they weren't poisonous, because I ate them and I'm still alive.

The lady that brought me each course announced her arrival before entering the room. . .

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Then she kneeled down, placed the food in front of me, and explained each dish. . .

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Too bad I didn't understand what she was saying.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


After I had finished eating, they sent in the "English Speaking Lady". She was amazing. We had a nice little chat about vegetarian food, tourists and typhoons.

mm, mm, mmmm! mmmatsushima!






4 Comments:

Blogger KAMN! said...

can i have some!? please!?

10:30 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

most certainly. all you have to do is come here to get it.
my tetami room awaits you!

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooo, that mochi looks so fresh! I've been enjoying every single dish pictured, but I have to ask - what is covering the mochi in the first picture - green an? It almost looks like guacamole... And iced green tea? Or is it that Chlorella stuff everyone takes?

Temple food sure looks a lot better than it sounds!

Keep the entries coming, I'm a loyal viewer.

Love,
Linda

6:35 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

Hi Auntie Linda!

The green stuff was some kind of been (not like ordinary green an) I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I kept seeing it everywhere in the city, so I figured I should check it out. I'm glad I did, because it was delicious! Less sweet than an, and really really good.

The green drink is lightly sweetened iced macha.

Thanks so much for reading, it makes me really happy! Now I've been meaning to ask you, what are these "Japanese characteristics" I've picked up?

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home