10.29.2005

Cultural Differences

Today I noticed a really strong, odd smell making its way though out the second floor of Showa Koko.

An English teacher (Sato Sensei) explained to me that, after the kids in Biology had finished dissecting a squid, the Science teacher (Ochi Sensei) decided that the squid didn't look too bad, so he cooked it and ate it.

Please tell me that this is as disturbing to you as it was to me!

I tried to explain to Sato Sensei why I thought it was gross to eat today's science lesson. But he kept saying, "It's not Science, it's Biology." I'm still failing to see the logic behind his reasoning. Apparently, our little conversation worked up an appetite for Sato Sensei, so he decided he was going to check things out. He came back waving a pair of ohashi (chopsticks) at me and smiling.

Thank God I didn't have to teach with him today. I'm not a fan of squid breath.

3 Comments:

Blogger ms. tea said...

sorry ms ms, you can't chalk this one up to cultural oddities. my 7th grade science teacher did the exact same thing. right here in california. and it was pretty good calamari considering it was fried up over a bunsen burner

9:47 AM  
Blogger Doi said...

yup, would have to say my 7th grade teach did the same deal! Calamari & lemon please!!!

1:24 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

ok, i don't know what's more disturbing.
the fact that this sort of thing goes on in my own "homeland",
or that it seems that at least two people i know have partaken in such practices.

eeeeeeeeewwww. . .

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home