5.02.2006

Icing on the cake

The other day. . . I was with a couple of friends and was about to tell a story. It was the kind of story that pops into my head at random. This type of story gets me really excited, and when they come to me, I feel the need to share them ASAP. This urgency is expressed with an array of hand gestures, raising of the eyebrows, and more often than not, a series of small jumps.

Anyhow, as I was about to unleash said story onto said pair of friends, one of them interrupted me, and said something along the lines of my stories being great, even if they aren't about anything interesting, because of my delivery. I imagine that this was intended to be a compliment, but somehow I felt slightly slighted. I think the reason this commentary rubbed me the wrong way, was that it wasn't followed up with a disclaimer, such as "But, your stories always ARE interesting."

This planted a seed of doubt in my story telling confidence. What if my stories really aren't interesting, and it's only all the jumping and eyebrow gymnastics that hold people's attention?
Have I become a person that's all bells and whistles, with nothing of substance to follow all the fuss? Am I like one of those fancy 3-D cakes with a big race car on it that looks all cool and everything UNTIL the cake has been dished out and you realize that you're holding a plate full of frosting on top of a layer of sugary yellow cake that most likely came from a box with the words "Just add water" printed on it???

Don't answer that or any of the previous questions. I'm not interested in your pity comments, and if the answer is that I am correct, it's probably best that I don't know.
Ignorance is bliss, even if it is blissful ignorance laced with a bit of paranoia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home